Chili Lime Chicken Lettuce Wraps – an easy low carb way to enjoy fajitas. Best of all, less than 30 minutes to make and perfect for lunch or a lightened up dinner for busy weeknights!
Lettuce wraps are one of our favorite things to make when we want to have a quick and healthy meal. The kids filling their own plates with their own customized fillings.
These Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps are fresh, flavorful and super simple to make with a homemade fajita seasoning! Less than 30 minutes to make so they’re perfect for busy weeknights.
Whenever we have company, we love serving lettuce wraps as a fun appetizer.
This recipe is also Whole 30, paleo and keto-friendly. You can easily double the amounts if you want to serve these at your next spring or summer party as well.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHILI LIME CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- You’re going to start off by making the homemade fajita seasoning. It’s a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Or if you already have a favorite brand of fajita seasoning, you can certainly use that instead.
- Toss the chicken with the fajita seasoning along with some lime and freshly chopped cilantro. Let the chicken marinate while you get your other ingredients ready.
- Slice up the onions and peppers and fry them up in your skillet. We used a mix of red, orange, yellow and red bell peppers – use any combination of peppers you like.
- Brown the chicken and divide into lettuce wraps.
CAN I USE ANOTHER TYPE OF LETTUCE FOR THESE WRAPS?
I love using butter lettuce but you can absolutely use your favorite green leaf lettuce that you prefer. Radicchio, steamed red cabbage or even collard greens would be delicious as well.
WHAT ELSE CAN I SERVE WITH LETTUCE WRAPS?
For a complete Mexican fiesta, you can serve these lettuce wraps along with some grilled corn, rice, beans and of course some guacamole or salsa.
And if you’d rather enjoy a low carb meal in a bowl, layer the chicken filling over some cauliflower rice or zoodles.
These Chili Lime Chicken Lettuce Wraps would make the perfect light lunch, dinner or even appetizers for your next spring or summer party. Grab an ice cold drink and enjoy them on the patio or deck for your next Mexican fiesta.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Chili Lime Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chili Lime Chicken Lettuce Wraps – fresh, flavorful and a healthier way to enjoy fajitas! Less than 30 minutes to make and perfect for lunch or a lightened up dinner for busy weeknights!
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the fajitas:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs sliced
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced I used red yellow orange and green
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves washed green leaf or romaine works too
- sliced avocado and lime wedges for serving
Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice and 3-4 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chicken marinade for drizzling on the chicken at the end.
Pour remainder of the marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the chicken. Seal bag tightly and press the bag with your hands to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter for keto) in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons of the reserved fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Add the reserved chicken marinade to the skillet and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Assemble lettuce wraps by placing a spoonful of chicken/vegetable filling into the center of each leaf. Top with avocado or your favorite toppings.