These Chili Lime Fajita Steak Lettuce Wraps are fresh, flavorful and super easy to make! They make the perfect handheld appetizers or a light and healthy low-carb lunch or dinner!
These Chili Lime Fajita Steak Lettuce Wraps are fresh, flavorful and super simple to make! The best part? They come together in less than 30 minutes so they’re perfect for busy weeknights.
Plus the buttery lettuce leaves makes these a delicious low-carb and keto-friendly option when you’re looking for a quick and healthy dinner.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE FAJITA STEAK LETTUCE WRAPS
- Start off by making the homemade fajita seasoning. It’s a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Or if you already have a favorite brand of fajita seasoning, you can certainly use that instead.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, mustard and fajita seasonings for the steak marinade. Pour the marinade over the steak reserving 1 tablespoon for drizzling at the end.
- Cut the onions and bell peppers into thin slices
- Heat a large 12″ skillet over medium high heat and cook the onions until soft and fragrant, then add the bell peppers. If you like them with a nice crunch – cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt butter on the same skillet and sear the steak. Allow to sear for 2 to 3 minutes (or more depending on how done you like your steak) on each side. Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and cook until just heated. Remove from heat.
- Divide into lettuce wraps.
CAN I USE ANOTHER LETTUCE FOR THESE WRAPS?
Of course! I love using butter lettuce but romaine, or even collard greens would be delicious as well. Or you can even serve the cilantro lime shrimp filling over some cauliflower rice or zoodles.
These Chili Lime Steak Lettuce Wraps would make the perfect light lunch, dinner or even appetizers for your next party.
Chili Lime Steak Lettuce Wraps
These Chili Lime Steak Fajita Lettuce Wraps are fresh, flavorful and super easy to make! They make the perfect handheld appetizers or a light and healthy low-carb lunch or dinner!
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the lettuce wraps:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary OR Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 - 1 pound skirt or flank steak cut into 1" strips or cubes
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced I used red, yellow, orange and green
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves washed and dried
- sliced avocado and lime wedges for serving
Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
Make the steak marinade:
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the steak marinade for drizzling on the steak at the end. Pour remainder of the steak marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the steak. Press the bag to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
Melt butter on the same skillet and sear the steak. Allow to sear for 2 to 3 minutes (or more depending on how done you like your steak) on each side. Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and cook until just heated. Remove from heat.
Assemble lettuce wraps by placing a spoonful of shrimp/vegetable filling into the center of each leaf. Top with avocado or your favorite toppings.
Leave a Reply