Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli – an easy low carb Chinese takeout favorite perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, instructions to make this classic Chinese dish in the pressure cooker and slow cooker.
Beef and Broccoli is a popular favorite around here.
This low carb keto-friendly Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli takes just a few minutes to prep and it’s much better for you than if you ordered out at the local Chinese restaurant.
You just throw some beef chuck roast into your Instant Pot and then in less than 30 minutes, you’re ready to eat! How easy is that?
HOW TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- For this Instant Pot recipe, I recommend using boneless beef chuck roast that you slice very thinly across the grain. I find popping the beef in the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing it helps when you’re trying to slice into very thin pieces. The chuck roast cooks up nice and tender. But if you can’t find chuck roast, flank steak should also work in a pinch.
- The delicious rich and savory sauce is made with beef broth, low sodium soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper chili flakes (optional) for a kick of heat.
- To keep the broccoli perfectly tender with a bit of a bite, you’re going to steam it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Then you just stir it into the Instant Pot right at the very end. This helps helps prevent the broccoli from getting too mushy than if you were to cook it together with the meat.
- Once the beef is done, you turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE – stir in the cornstarch slurry and the steamed broccoli and cook until the sauce thickens up.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS IF I HAVE ALLERGIES?
- Instead of low sodium soy sauce, use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS INSTANT POT BEEF AND BROCCOLI WITH?
You can serve this beef and broccoli with spiralized zoodles or cauliflower rice
Instant Pot Beef And Broccoli
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or flank steak sliced thinly across the grain
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced or grated ginger
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce use coconut aminos for paleo or keto
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons low carb sweetener Swerve or erythritol
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flake or Sriracha optional
- 2 1/2 tablesoons arrowroot plus 3 tablespoons water
FOR THE INSTANT POT VERSION:
Season beef with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button. Once the Instant Pot is hot, sear the beef for 1-2 minutes until brown (cook in batches as needed).
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce. Pour over beef.
PRESS Cancel, then press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH. Set to 6 minutes and cover with lid. Turn heating valve to SEAL.
Meanwhile, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave 2 – 3 minutes until broccoli is tender.
Quick release the pressure of the Instant Pot after the beef is cooked and there is a beeping to tell you it's done.
Carefully open the lid and whisk together the corn starch and water to create a slurry in a small bowl. Stir into the Instant Pot and press SAUTE. Add the broccoli and cook until sauce has thickened and broccoli is hot.
Adjust seasonings and serve hot with your favorite sides - cauliflower rice or zoodles
FOR THE SLOW COOKER VERSION:
Season beef with salt, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in the insert of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add the beef and toss to coat.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes - 2 hours or LOW for 1.5 -3 hours (every slow cooker cooks at a different heating level - be sure to check times according to your slow cooker).
Meanwhile, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave 2 – 3 minutes until broccoli is tender
Once the beef is done (or about 30 minute before serving) , whisk together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry in a small bowl. Stir into slow cooker along with the steamed broccoli florets. Cover and allow to cook on HIGH until sauce has thickened. (about 20 minutes)
Adjust seasonings and serve hot with your favorite sides - cauliflower rice or zoodles.