Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli – an easy low carb Chinese takeout favorite perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, instructions to make this classic Chinese dish in the pressure cooker and slow cooker.
Beef and Broccoli is a popular favorite around here.
This low carb keto-friendly Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli takes just a few minutes to prep and it’s much better for you than if you ordered out at the local Chinese restaurant.
You just throw some beef chuck roast into your Instant Pot and then in less than 30 minutes, you’re ready to eat! How easy is that?
HOW TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- For this Instant Pot recipe, I recommend using boneless beef chuck roast that you slice very thinly across the grain. I find popping the beef in the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing it helps when you’re trying to slice into very thin pieces. The chuck roast cooks up nice and tender. But if you can’t find chuck roast, flank steak should also work in a pinch.
- The delicious rich and savory sauce is made with beef broth, low sodium soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper chili flakes (optional) for a kick of heat.
- To keep the broccoli perfectly tender with a bit of a bite, you can steam it in the microwave for about 2 minutes before adding it to the Instant Pot. Then you just stir the broccoli into the Instant Pot. This helps to prevent the broccoli from getting too mushy than if you were to cook it together with the meat. If you’re in a pinch, feel free to skip this additional step though.
- If you want the sauce to thicken up like the Chinese restaurant takeout version, you turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE – stir in the arrowroot starch slurry or xanthum gum and cook until the sauce thickens up.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS IF I HAVE ALLERGIES?
- Instead of low sodium soy sauce, use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS INSTANT POT BEEF AND BROCCOLI WITH?
You can serve this beef and broccoli with spiralized zoodles or cauliflower rice
Instant Pot Beef And Broccoli
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or flank steak sliced thinly across the grain
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp xantham gum OR arrowroot starch to thicken the sauce (leave out if desired)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced or grated ginger
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce use coconut aminos for paleo or keto
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon erythritol or monk fruit sweetener (if not low carb you can add brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flake or Sriracha optional
FOR THE INSTANT POT VERSION:
Season beef with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button. Once the Instant Pot is hot, sear the beef for 1-2 minutes until brown (cook in batches as needed).
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce. Pour over beef.
PRESS Cancel, then press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH. Set to 4 minutes and cover with lid. Turn heating valve to SEAL.
Meanwhile, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave 2 – 3 minutes until broccoli is tender. (skip this step if you prefer and cook directly in the Instant Pot).
Quick release the pressure of the Instant Pot after the beef is cooked and there is a beeping to tell you it's done.
Carefully open the lid. To thicken the sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together xanthum or arrowroot starch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk into the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE. (You can also transfer the beef to a bowl first if you prefer before whisking in the thickening slurry). Add the broccoli and cook until sauce has thickened and broccoli is hot.
Adjust seasonings and serve hot with your favorite sides - cauliflower rice or zoodles
FOR THE SLOW COOKER VERSION:
Season beef with salt, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in the insert of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add the beef and toss to coat.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes - 2 hours or LOW for 1.5 -3 hours (every slow cooker cooks at a different heating level - be sure to check times according to your slow cooker).
Meanwhile, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave 2 – 3 minutes until broccoli is tender (skip this step if you prefer and cook directly in the slow cooker).
Once the beef is done (or about 30 minute before serving) and if you prefer a thicker sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together xanthum or arrowroot starch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk into the Slow Cooker (You can also transfer the beef to a bowl first if you prefer before whisking in the thickening slurry). Add the broccoli and cover and allow to cook on HIGH until sauce has thickened and or broccoli is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
Adjust seasonings and serve hot with your favorite sides - cauliflower rice or zoodles.