Low Carb Taco Bowls – a quick & delicious keto-friendly 30 minute lunch or dinner perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, made with a flavorful homemade Tex-Mex seasoning with meal prep options.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up soon, Fajitas and low carb tacos have been happening a lot around our house. We’ve also been switching things up with these low carb taco bowls which are our latest favorite.
They are super simple to customize with your favorite toppings and Tex-Mex spices. And the best part? You can make your own Mexican fiesta right at home in under 30 minutes so they are perfect for Taco Tuesdays or any busy weeknight.
HOW TO MAKE TACO BOWLS?
- You’re going to start off by browning your meat with some taco seasoning. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use the homemade recipe below or swap in your favorite brand of taco seasoning.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash or spiralized zucchini noodles
- Wash and prep your veggies and layer them into bowls. We used grape tomatoes, shredded cabbage (red and green), olives and yellow peppers.
CAN I SWITCH UP THE MEAT AND VEGETABLES?
Absolutely. If you’re not a fan of ground beef, you can use turkey, chicken or leave out the meat for a vegan taco bowl. Add shredded lettuce and swap out the tomatoes with salsa or a dollop of guacamole.
CAN YOU PREP THESE TACO BOWLS AHEAD OF TIME?
- Yes. You can prep these bowls ahead on your Sunday Meal Prep by dividing them into these 2 compartment lunch containers.
- To avoid the tomatoes from getting soggy, you can pack them separately in a zip-top bag or use whole cherry tomatoes.
- Pack with guacamole, salsa or a whole avocado to avoid your avocado from browning or getting mushy.
Low Carb Taco Bowls
For the homemade taco seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the meat:
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
For the taco bowls:
- Cauliflower rice (or use your favorite cooked rice or quinoa
- 1 small zucchini sliced into thin halves
- 1-2 bell pepper chopped (any color works)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage green & red
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Olive slices
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
Other optional taco toppings:
- shredded lettuce shredded cheese, pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole etc.
For Meal Prep:
- Lunch containers
In a small bowl or small resealable spice jar, combine all the spices for the taco seasoning. You can save any leftovers for the next time.
In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground meat, breaking down into small pieces while it cooks. After about 3 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink and cooked through. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is heated through. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
Divide cauliflower rice amongst bowls or lunch containers. Top with a serving of cooked meat, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, bell peppers, olive, avocado and one lime wedge.
Add additional taco toppings as desired.