This Keto Steak Salad is the perfect hearty and low carb lunch or light dinner. It’s easy to make and has all the amazing flavors of a fajita served with a creamy cilantro lime dressing!
Once the weather starts to warm up, I start craving more light and fresh dinners in my meal plan. I love transforming a lot of my regular favorites into salads.
This Keto Steak Salad, inspired by my husband’s favorite fajitas, skips the tortillas and instead layers slices of juicy and tender flank steak along with charred peppers and onions over a bed of crunchy, chopped butter and romaine lettuce.
It’s finished off with a chili-lime vinaigrette for a tangy kick and a little bit of heat. It’s low carb, ketogenic friendly, paleo and whole30 compliant. A delicious all-in-one meal with your veggies and protein together in one dish.
HOW TO MAKE KETO STEAK SALAD:
- Make the homemade fajita seasoning: Combine chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a bowl. You can also use your favorite brand.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and fajita seasonings for the steak marinade. Pour the marinade over the steak reserving 1 tablespoon for drizzling at the end.
- Cut the onions and bell peppers into thin slices
- Heat a large 12″ skillet over medium high heat and cook the onions until soft and fragrant, then add the bell peppers. If you like them with a nice crunch – cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt ghee on the same skillet and sear the steak. Allow to sear for 3 to 4 minutes (or more depending on how done you like your steak) on each side. Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips. Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and add the steak strips until just heated. Remove from heat.
- Place 2-3 pieces each of butter and romaine lettuce in a large salad bowl
- Drizzle with dressing and serve with avocado and lime wedges and enjoy immediately
WHAT’S IN THE DRESSING FOR THE STEAK SALAD?
- To make the dressing, combine the cilantro, Greek yogurt, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, cumin and salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Keto Steak Salad
This Keto Steak Salad is the perfect hearty and low carb lunch or light dinner. It's easy to make and has all the amazing flavors of a fajita served with a creamy cilantro lime dressing!
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the fajitas:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard OR 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard - paleo/keto brand as necessary
- 1½ pounds flank steak , halved crosswise
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced (I used red, yellow, orange and green)
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons ghee OR avocado oil
- 2-3 leaves butter lettuce
- 2-3 leaves romaine lettuce
- For the salad dressing:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro , stems removed
- 1/2 cup coconut cream OR plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice , about 1 lime
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the steak marinade for drizzling on the steak at the end. Pour remainder of the steak marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the steak. Press the bag to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 4 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
Melt ghee on the same skillet and sear the steak. Allow to sear for 3 to 4 minutes (or more depending on how done you like your steak) on each side. Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips. Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and add the steak strips until just heated. Remove from heat.
For the dressing: Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Chill until ready to serve. Can be made a few days in advance.
Place 2-3 pieces each of butter and romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Place sliced avocado and grilled peppers and onions on top. Add the flank steak strips and place on top of the salad. Drizzle with chilled dressing. Serve immediately.