Low Carb Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash Bowls – a keto-friendly and lightened up version of a favorite Italian classic! Baked chicken and vegetables are stuffed into perfectly roasted spaghetti squash and covered in cheese and marinara sauce.
This Low Carb Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is the perfect dish if you’re looking to add a healthier but comforting meal to your weeknight rotation.
Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian favorite and this low carb and keto friendly version is on regular rotation at our house once comfort food season hits.
We love spaghetti squash since it’s full of vitamins, fiber and low on carbs and fits into a Whole 30, Paleo, Vegan or Keto friendly lifestyle.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB CHICKEN PARMESAN SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
- You’re going to start off by roasting the spaghetti squash on a baking sheet with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper until the squash is nice and tender.
- Once it cools down, scoop out the seeds and shred the flesh with a fork into spaghetti strands.
- Season the chicken and instead of the traditional Italian style bread crumbs you coat the chicken in a mix of almond flour, parmesan cheese and garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Bake it in the same pan as the squash half-way through. After 15 minutes, flip the chicken and add the other veggies.
- Remove the baking sheet and add a layer of your favorite marinara sauce into the squash. Add the chicken, veggies, more sauce and then some mozarella and parmesan cheese. Bake it for a few more minutes until the cheese gets nice and gooey.
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash Bowls - a keto-friendly and lightened up version of a favorite Italian classic! Baked chicken and vegetables are stuffed into perfectly roasted spaghetti squash and covered in cheese and marinara sauce.
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless, chicken breasts pounded thinly
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- grated parmesan cheese
TO MAKE THE SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
Preheat the oven to 375º. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place on prepared baking sheet, cut side up and season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
MAKE CHICKEN PARMESAN:
While the squash is cooking, combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a medium shallow bowl.
Dip each chicken breast in the beaten egg until well coated. Then cover evenly in the flour mixture.
Remove squash from the oven after 20 minutes and push to one side of the baking pan. Lay the chicken on the remaining side and return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the pan again and flip the chicken to the other side. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 17-25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees F and the squash is cooked until fork tender.
Remove from oven, scoop out the seeds and shred the inside of each squash so that the spaghetti strands are loosened.
ASSEMBLE THE SQUASH BOWLS:
Fill inside of each squash bowl with 1/3 cup marinara sauce, top with chicken and spread another layer of marinara sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return to the pan to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Serve in spaghetti squash or transfer to two bowls and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.