Low Carb Breakfast Cookies – a gluten free portable breakfast for on the go. Comes together easily in one bowl with almond flour, coconut flakes, sesame seeds and chopped nuts.
Who doesn’t want cookies for breakfast? These Low Carb Breakfast Cookies are soft, chewy and make a delicious breakfast for on the go.
They are sort of remind me of oatmeal cookies but are completely grain free, gluten free, sugar free and come together in just ONE bowl.
Plus, they’re also keto and paleo friendly and very easy to customize with your favorite nut or seed butter. Plus you can make them ahead and freeze them for another day for that after lunch or dinner treat.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB BREAKFAST COOKIES:
- Start by lining a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, almond butter and coconut oil until creamy.
- Add the monk fruit, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour and flaked coconut until everything is just combined. Fold in almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds and chopped chocolate (if desired).
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough (for 12 smaller cookies) or a 1/4 cup of dough (for 6 larger cookies) and drop onto the parchment paper. Pat the tops down to flatten slightly. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds and additional coconut flakes, if desired. At this point, you can also add some sugar free or paleo-friendly mini chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and barely firm to the touch. (Do NOT overbake – cookies will firm up as they cool).
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheets completely before storing in an airtight container.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING SOFT AND CHEWY LOW CARB BREAKFAST COOKIES:
- it’s important to use coconut oil that has been softened at room temperature – you don’t want it melted but just soft enough that it mixes easily with the almond butter
- use drippy nut or seed butter – if your nut butter is hard or near the bottom of the jar – heat in microwave or sauce pan if needed
- use superfine blanched almond flour and NOT almond meal
- flaked coconut (NOT shredded) adds that extra chewy texture so do not swap if you like chewy cookies
- do NOT overbake – the cookies will firm up as they cool
More keto treats you might like:
LOW CARB BREAKFAST COOKIES
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup drippy almond butter usually from a newly opened jar & NOT near the bottom OR preferred nut or seed butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup golden monk fruit sweetener OR coconut sugar for Paleo
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 cup super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar free OR paleo chocolate chips optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds optional, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg, almond butter and coconut oil until creamy and smooth. Add the monk fruit, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Beat until combined.
Stir in almond flour, coconut flour and shredded coconut until everything is just combined. Fold in sliced almonds, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds and chocolate chips (if using).
Scoop out 2 tablespoon sized dough mounds (for smaller cookies - makes 12) OR 1/4 cup dough mounds (for larger cookies - makes 6) and place at least 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Flatten tops slightly with the back of the measuring cup or the bottom of a jar. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds and more shredded coconut, for garnish, if desired.
Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and just barely firm to the touch.
Remove pan from oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheets completely. Cookies can be frozen in a large resealable bag up to 3 months.