Low Carb Chicken Fajitas – a quick, simple and tasty one pan meal with minimal clean-up. Just 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights. Serve over a bed of lettuce, cauliflower rice or with keto wraps.
Chicken Fajitas are a favorite at our house. To make traditional fajitas low carb and keto friendly, we simply swap out the flour tortillas and serve over cauliflower rice, lettuce or you can try these coconut wraps.
Everything comes together in one pan in under 30 minutes. They are full of flavor and seriously so simple to make. The best part is, that you can easily customize the vegetables with what you have on hand.
For the bell peppers, I used red, orange, yellow and red for a nice and colorful rainbow.
HOW TO MAKE THESE LOW CARB CHICKEN FAJITAS
- The chicken is seasoned with a homemade fajita seasoning mix and a super flavorful cilantro lime marinade. You won’t have to let the chicken marinate all night if you’re in pinch or forgot. Just let the chicken sit while you get your other ingredients ready.
- Slice up the onions and peppers and fry them up in your skillet. For these chicken fajitas, we used a mix of red, orange, yellow and red bell peppers but you can use any combination of peppers you have on hand. I also sliced up a red onion to brighten things up even more!
- Brown the chicken and serve hot over some lettuce, cauliflower rice or these coconut wraps.
These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas can also be made ahead of time for meal prep Sunday.
Divide everything out into lunch containers (shown below with cauliflower rice) to enjoy them throughout the week.
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas - a quick, simple and tasty one pan meal with minimal clean-up. Just 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights. Serve over a bed of lettuce, cauliflower rice or with keto wraps.
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the fajitas:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard OR 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs sliced
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced (I used red, yellow, orange and green)
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
- cauliflower rice or lettuce for serving
FOR MEAL PREP: lunch containers
Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the chicken marinade for drizzling on the chicken at the end. Pour remainder of the marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the chicken. Press the bag to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Add the reserved chicken marinade to the skillet and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Serve over some lettuce, cauliflower rice and with sliced avocados and lime wedges.
FOR MEAL PREP: Divide into lunch containers.