Low Carb Taco Salad – made with ground turkey, lettuce, cabbage, olives, bell peppers and an avocado lime dressing. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Paleo & keto friendly.
Taco Tuesday is a big favorite at our house. This Low Carb Taco Salad has all the classic flavors of a taco in a giant healthy salad form. It comes together quickly and is very simple to customize.
It’s perfect if you’re trying to include some lighter options for your own Mexican fiesta.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB TACO SALAD:
- Start off by browning ground turkey with the taco seasoning. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use the homemade recipe below or swap in your favorite brand of taco seasoning.
- Wash and prep your veggies and layer them into bowls. We used green leaf and butter lettuce, yellow bell peppers, grape tomatoes, shredded cabbage (red and green) and olives.
- To make the avocado lime dressing – toss the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of cheese (or leave out for paleo & dairy free option).
This salad is delicious for lunch or a light dinner. It’s got a little bit of spicy, sour, creamy and savory in every bite.
CAN I MAKE THIS TACO SALAD WITH GROUND BEEF INSTEAD?
Absolutely. If you’re not a fan of ground turkey, you can use:
- ground beef
- ground chicken
- leave out the meat for a vegetarian taco bowl. (skip the cheese for a vegan taco salad)
- Use romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Swap out the tomatoes for salsa or a dollop of guacamole.
CAN I MAKE THIS HEALTHY TACO SALAD AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely. One of the things that helps meget in and out of the kitchen quickly is to keep my fridge stocked with lots of fresh seasonal vegetables.
- Wash and dry your salad greens and tomatoes and store them in a zip-top bag
- Cook the meat ahead of time and store in an air-tight container.
- Make the salad dressing ahead of time and store in a mason jar
More healthy Mexican recipes you might like:
Low Carb Taco Salad
Low Carb Taco Salad - made with ground turkey, lettuce, cabbage, olives, bell peppers and an avocado lime dressing. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
For the homemade taco seasoning (or use your favorite store brand)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the meat:
- 1 lb ground turkey chicken or lean beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
For the salad bowls:
- 2 cups roughly chopped green leaf lettuce or Romaine
- 2 cups butter lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers I used yellow
- 1/2 cup shredded green and purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Lime wedges
- shredded cheese
- pico de gallo
- cheese crisps
For the dressing:
- 1 large avocado pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
In a small bowl or small resealable spice jar, combine all the spices for the taco seasoning. You can save any leftovers for the next time.
In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground meat, breaking down into small pieces while it cooks. After about 3 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink and cooked through. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is heated through. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
To make the dressing:
While the meat is cooking, add the avocado, cilantro, lime, orange juice, olive oil and salt to a food processor. Process until smooth.
Add lettuce to a large bowl. Top with cooked turkey, cherry tomatoes, olives, bell peppers and shredded cabbage. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately avocado, lime and additional taco toppings as desired.