Taco Stuffed Avocado Cups – a fun appetizer based on the classic Mexican favorite and perfect for parties. Best of all, this recipe is gluten free, keto and low-carb friendly.
Tacos are a big favorite at our house and another way to make them low carb friendly is to stuff them into a healthy and tasty avocado half.
These Taco Stuffed Avocado Cups have all the delicious toppings you love about tacos and make the perfect lunch or light dinner. The best part? You can easily customize them with whatever you have on hand.
HOW TO MAKE THESE TACO STUFFED AVOCADOS:
- Start off by browning the turkey (beef or chicken would also work here as well). Season with salt and black pepper
- To keep these low carb, you’re going to use red bell peppers and olives for the filling instead of the usual corn and black beans. You can also add some diced tomatoes if you like. Next, you add the tomato sauce and taco seasoning until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Split the avocado in half and remove the pit. For a larger surface, feel free to scoop out some of the avocado flesh. Fill each taco half with 2-3 tablespoons of the turkey filling. Sprinkle with additional cheese, shredded cabbage, jalapeno pepper, green onions and fresh cilantro.
CAN I MAKE THESE STUFFED AVOCADOS AHEAD OF TIME?
Since avocados brown easily, I would suggest cutting and filling them no more than an hour before you plan to serve them.
You can certainly make the taco filling in advance. Just cook the meat the night before and store in a resealable container. The next day, heat on the skillet for about 2-3 minutes, until heated through and stir in additional cheese for extra gooeyness.
More recipes you might like:
Low Carb Taco Stuffed Avocado
Taco Stuffed Avocado Cups - a fun appetizer based on the classic Mexican favorite and perfect for parties. Best of all, this recipe is gluten free, keto and low-carb friendly.
- 3/4 - 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon sliced olives
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- 2-3 medium Haas avocados cut in half and pits removed
- 2-3 tablespoons shredded cabbage red & green
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
In a large skillet, add turkey and brown until cooked through. Drain any grease then season with salt and black pepper.
Add bell pepper, olives, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and stir to evenly combine ingredients. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove skillet from heat and stir in shredded cheese.
Fill each avocado half with 2-3 tablespoons of the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cabbage, fresh cilantro, additional cheese and serve.